Leaders in the oil and gas industry have invested heavily in data solutions for strategic decision making and daily operations. Thousands of sensors at the well, petabytes of subsurface data, millions of parts and equipment in the supply chain, midstream & downstream operations and M&A activities have created a rich, yet complex data operation environment. The big lesson learned is that businesses are missing out on an enormous opportunity to optimize processes and improve their bottom line. With a product like Tamr, cleaning, unifying, and mastering data is simple and easy to do.
Tamr has been working with some of the largest International Oil Companies (IOC) on their wells data from various sources to help them deliver unified and consistent data for improved operations decision making. Here’s why they chose us.
The challenge stems from creating clean, consistent and aligned information across these core data environments so they can be effectively leveraged to support strategic initiatives and daily operations.
Specifically on oil wells, internal data is stored across silos, with inconsistent naming conventions and analysts freely editing sources around the globe; external data also comes into play as they purchase research that supplements internal well information.
It is difficult for scientists to understand the lifecycle of any given well and for executives to answer how much oil one can extract from any given well, or how close together one can put a new well to an old one, etc.
These oil and gas players leveraged Tamr’s solution to unify internal and external data about oil wells, master the well data and create Golden Records to reconcile any future conflicts within disparate data sources. Tamr worked with subject matter experts and data scientists to design of an automated data pipeline. Through clustering, deduplication and data enrichment, Tamr delivered a set of unified consistent well data points.
These leaders in the oil and gas industry went with Tamr’s solution for a number of reasons, including our:
- Business outcome focus: The Tamr team works closely with the core innovation team across divisions of the customer to understand data strategy and business needs of the customer. With a use case based engagement model, Tamr tested different use cases in Upstream, Refinery and Downstream to identify high ROI applications for the customers in using Tamr software.
- Institutionalized Expertise: The “Machine-Driven + Human-Guided” data curation process enabled continuous improvements and bi-directional feedback from participation of data subject experts from the customers, proved rapid time-to-value to the customer. The algorithm is built based on the customized needs of the customer.
- Deep Industry Knowledge: As a data-agnostic software, Tamr can work in various data environments across industries. However, Tamr field engineering team not only focused on the data challenges, but also leveraged deep understanding in the industry specific data needs and helped build location prioritization on the data to help downstream data consumption.
- Fast Pilot Results: In one of the engagements, Tamr’s field engineering team spent 4 weeks harmonizing upstream data sources for well repositories and downstream data sources as a pilot project, and was able to deduplicate the total number of records from 2.6 million records to 2.0 million unified consistent well data points. In another case, Tamr team outperformed the company’s in-house system (which they spent years building) within weeks of work.
- Strategic Drive: Tamr is a promoter for DataOps. We not only focus on getting better results for specific projects, but also help promote a data-driven strategy amongst our customers. Within this traditional industry, Tamr team presented our solution and data stack in countless large and small groups across IT teams, scientists, and business users to help their senior management team promote a data-driven, API-driven system integration.
Read our full oil and gas case study below: